Gfortran for systems
Pmetrics uses the free gfortran compiler. Follow the instructions below, which are specific for your system.
- Remove other gfortran installations if they exist.
- You can launch a terminal window and type "which gfortran".
- If you see a path returned (e.g. /usr/local/gfortran) you have a previous installation of gfortran that needs to be removed.
- If you aren't sure how, try these instructions.
- Install Xcode
- Install the Xcode application from the Mac App Store
- Open the installed Xcode app, agree to the license, and let it install some "components"
- Install the Xcode command-line tools
- Open a terminal window, by clicking on this link or opening the Terminal application (Applications > Utilities > Terminal)
- Type xcode-select --install and follow the dialogs that open
- Install gfortran itself
- Clicking the Download button will take you to the webpage with the version of gfortran for your system.
- The file will be an Apple style installer disk image file (.dmg) which you will need to open to install gfortan on your computer.
- It should install by default in /usr/local/bin/gfortran.
- Do not forget to install Xcode .
- Do not forget to install the command line tools.
- Periodically Apple updates Xcode. If you see an error compiling, such as "error trying to exec "as": execvp: No such file or directory", you may need to reinstall the Command Line tools.